Why I Started Green Toy Collecting?



Hi, I am Bud Maloney. I think sustainability should be inherent in every aspect of our lives. Instead of teaching planned obsolescence in design courses we should be teaching sustainability. 

Upon learning about the great pacific garbage patch and watching Beth Terry's Plastic free TED video. I have been inspired to make changes in my life and try to help man made causes like this cease. 

As a toy collector, I paused and looked to see that toys have a huge amounts of plastic and packaging wastes. Then I noticed that the premise of collecting is to acquire more and more. With the insane boom in geek culture after Marvel and DC movies. The toy companies are starting to merchandise even more. Every single character has a toy now, and every single appearance of a character. All this means a significant increase in production and wasteful consumption. Naturally, collectors and kids exhibit a heavy consumer/addiction relationship with toy companies, they just get excited about each and every new thing. So toy companies in response to making more money, just feed this monster and dangle more carrots. And no one is realizing this surge in products, or doing anything about it IMO. You go to any walmart or TOYS R US and you see thousands upon thousands of plastic toys that aren't biodegradable with their fair share of waste strictly from packaging. 




So I started an initiative and a community to begin a dialogue about this issue. I think the solution doesn't lie in preventing the kids/collectors from enjoying toys. That is a daunting and impossible task and will provoke a huge emotional response. The solution lies from within. A focused problem and a workable solution is the best place to start. If we can get collectors to become more sustainable in their collecting habits or simply talking about it, the amplification in the geek culture would be achieved. The idea here is to get them on board with their consent. To make them see the impact. They're a great bunch and I have received incredible feedback from forums. 

I'm sharing the community but I want to have a dialogue with you guys about the solutions. I'm keeping the framework to toys at the moment, to maximize efficiency. Bottle caps, garbage bags etc, are the big boys, but in order to get to the heavy weights you need to start small. 

I have petition to get toy companies to make digital instructions instead of paper. 

I appreciate the help and if anyone wants to reach out, just contact me on Twitter.

Green Toy Collecting Community
Green Toy Index Explained
Online Petition to Make Toy Instructions Digital


Popular posts from this blog

My first post

Decepticon ASCII Logo, Epic

Transformers Movies Are Way More Interesting When You See Optimus Prime As A Villain!